"It's not a broken arm, but I must take leave."


The past few months, my brain, has felt, broken.

Broken like the state of our economy.

Broken like our justice system.

Broken like our country's unity.

Broken.

I thought, for a while, that I could DIY it, that I could throw some fancy zebra duct tape, positive affirmations, and hot sauce on it and call it a day.

I thought that, if I waited it out, took a few extra naps, drank a few extra glasses of wine and told myself it would be okay, it would be.

Newsflash. It wasn't.

Everything was suffering; my body, my health, my nerves, my work, my relationships with others but most importantly- my relationship with myself.

I started to hate myself and more than I ever hated myself. That scared me. 

It took a quite a few bad decisions, terrible moments, and hard conversations to realize that this was going to take a village and that village very well could be a village of strangers, again. We had a "Humpty Dumpty" situation on our hands. Below are the steps in my mind, as I thought they would play out.

Step One: Tell my employer, whom I have never met in person, that I am not only taking leave, but also have bipolar disorder and am days away from a mental health crisis.

Step Two: Figure out the lie I would tell my team and direct reports as to not scare them but to keep them informed.

Step Three: Have little flexibility in fear of legal repercussions.

Step Four: Engage in program with deep shame and feel like a failed professional, again.

Now, what really transpired left me feeling like...



Because in reality;

Step One: Tell my employer, whom I have never met in person, that I am not only taking leave but also have bipolar disorder and am days away from a mental health crisis

Step Two: Cry happy tears when my employer validates my mental health condition and says the following, "Tell your staff whatever you would like. If you had a broken arm, you'd tell them you had a broken arm. Why is this any different? We are here to support you in whatever ways you need."

Step Three: Start making my own coverage plan and working hours to preserve my autonomy per orders of my supportive employer; including but not limited to what messaging to use with staff.

Step Four: Tell my direct reports that I have bipolar disorder and am taking leave to engage in proactive mental health treatment. 

Step Five: Do that and feel great.

I may not have had a broken arm, but I was broken and I am healing.

Stay tuned for details about the process.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And on the 5th day of therapy my true shrink gave to me...a lesson about boundaries.

The Meaning of 2020 for Someone Who Suffered a Severe Mental Health Crisis 1/6/2020